May 2019 Newsletter
I WANT TO GO HOME!
I want to go home –
what might it mean?
Many times a person with memory loss says “I want to go home.” What might it mean? Here is a helpful list offered by Wiser Now Caregiving Focus.
The message is, “I am uncomfortable where I am right now.” Home is comfortable – where our needs are met and we are loved, so if I say, “I want to go home,” I may mean that:
- I am too hot or cold
- I am hungry or thirsty
- I have to go to the bathroom
- I am tired and need a place to rest
- I am uncomfortable by glare or too little light to see clearly
- I am disturbed by noise including music
- I am disturbed by the tension or discord where I am
- I feel unsafe
- I need a hug and reassurance
- I feel out of place, unaccepted as I am
Start by addressing those needs….you may find the key to understanding their message.